Land Surveys established crown and private rights about land a first step to create a well organised society. Land ownership entitled the owners to participate in governance and later to vote for elected officials. That this displaced the local native North American Indian tribes and nations was an inevitable effect of colonization.
The Early Land Survey in Ontario was recognized as a National Historic Event of Canada in 1932 and plaqued in 1938. This marks the establishments of five townships from Cataraqui to the Bay of Quinte beginning in the fall of 1783. The plaque in found in the city park at the corner of King and West Street in Kingston, Ontario.
The plaque reads as follows:
EARLY LAND IN ONTARIO
PREMIERS TRAVAUX D’ARPENTAGE EN ONTARIO
In September 1783, Deputy Surveyor-General John Collins was dispatched to Cataraqui by Governor Haldimand to lay out townships for loyalist settlers. The necessary land was purchased from Mississauga Indians, and on 27 October the first survey marker was planted. By the year’s end the front concessions of four townships, stretching from Cataraqui to the Bay of Quinte, had been surveyed. A fifth was laid out the following summer. Collins thus completed the first major survey made under civil authority in what is now Ontario.
Here is the first survey of Cataraqui, now Kingston.
(You may click all these maps and deeds to enlarge so your can better read details.)
Note that the first lots are started from the lake then north wards.
The text on the right panel is shown below.
The Clergy Sale of lands along the Aragon Road 1848
Clergy Lands were tracts of land in Upper Canada and other provinces given to the Church of England in the late 1700-s. The lands were meant to generate income to support the Church in its work among the people. The lands could be rented or sold or used for other commericial purposes. Crown land that was assigned Clergy Lands in Frontenac County was sold according to the example of a deed shown below.
In Glenburnie, the land east of Perth Road in the fifth concession lots 26-35 belonged to the Clergy who leased them out and later sold these holdings. The fifth concession is bound to the north by Unity Road and to the south by Maple Lane Drive. See map above.
From : History of the Township of Kingston, by Neil A. Paterson, ISBN 0-9691849-0-5, printed by Brown and Martin, Kingston, ON
This is the sale by the Crown, Queen Victoria, to: “Patrick Mc Manamin of the Township of Kingston, in the Midland District, Merchant, his heirs and assigns, at and for the price of One hundred and thirty pounds ten shillings. Lot Number Thirty five in the fifth concession of the said Township of Kingston.”
This is now known as the Draper Farm, the stately farmhouse is owned by Phil and Judy Quintin who loaned us this and other historic documents.
In 1855 Mary, the wife of McManamin, sold this land to William Spence of the Township of Tyendinaga in the County of Hastings, for twelve hundred and fifty pounds, almost ten times as much as the price of the first sale , a rapid increase in value from 1848 to 1855, just seven years.
The deed that transferred the Draper farm from Richard Draper the elder to Richard Draper the younger “in consideration of natural love and affection and of the sum of one Dollar of lawful Money of Canada now paid by the said party of the second part to the said party of the First part…” Dated 1875
We do not know when Richard Draper, the elder, bought this land.
This is page two and three of the deed. Page four was blank.
This map dated 1878 shows the names of the farmers with the main lots of 200 acres between two county roads. The black dots or small squares are farm houses.
The Draper farm is divided by the Aragon road, also called a “forced road” and the land is also partly submerged by the flooding of the southern section over an area of about 30 acres, this is now Draper Bay.
The right lower part of the map is reproduced in more detail below with the area bounded by Unity Road in the upper part, Battersea Road to the left and the Aragon Road taking off to the right, ending at the limestone farm house, owned by John Hogan, just before the current Alan Point Drive that extents to the edge of the water with a cluster of new homes. The road cuts through the farm lots and therefore was called a “forced road” it was different from a county road that separated the 200 acre lots that were sold from the Clergy Lands. Smaller lots on the map might have been subdivided and sold from larger parcels.
Dr.Jacalyn Duffin one of our neighbors send me a series of maps showing our road and environs in different periods. They were all scanned in from archival maps in the Staufer Librafy, at Queen’s University. I post them here with the most recent one first, it is easier that way to recognize change going back in time.
This one is from 1980, we see the Aragon Road, Esther March Bau, Colonel By Lake, Kingsto Mills, Lot 35 to 40, which are in Concession 5, Esther Head and Codes Corner. All pretty well the same as in 2014, except for the additional houses at Allan Point Drive at the end of the road.
This section is cropped out of a map dated 1961. It is interesting to note that in lot 37 what I assume is the Fitzpatrick Road north off the Aragon Road, links up with the extension of Unity Road past the Glenburnie Public School. This extension runs all the way to the shore of the canal linking Colonel By Lake to the River Styx. Some of us have hiked on these paths and it would be wonderful if we could establish a simple hiking route opening up these right-of-ways with the cooperation of the current land owners. Just note Mount Chesney, Glenburnie, Elginburg and Kingston Mills, hamlets and clusters of houses in the olden days. A lot of our oral stories refer to these settlements.
We are now in 1950, south of the Glenburnie Road is Concession 5 with the lots 26 to 36 written in but the lot continue up to lot 40 at the end of Aragon Road.
Note that the extension of Glenburnie Road, now Unity Road is drawn with two solid lines, so it the Fitzpatrick Road. Battersea Road and Kingston Mills Road are drawn with two solid lines and filled in segments.
Esther Head is now referred to by its local name which at that time was apparently not considered unacceptable. We don’t know who and when the name changed. What I do know that up to about 1980 it was a bare rock outcropping and those rock features are commonly called “head'”.
Why somebody would give it such a offending name is obscure.
This elegant detailed map is from 1946.
Interestingly ,we see a reference to Hemlock Park Farm, the Aragon Road is called “ARIGAN” and Casey Island covers the whole of the peninsula with a house shown just south of the Aragon Road.
That house is discussed in several of our oral history pages.
The outlines of what was called “PTE ROAD” are shown, it is the road that loops around from the end of the Aragon Road to the extension of Unity Road at the north side of Concession 5. Fitzpatrick Road is also shown as a dotted line, it runs off Aragon Road opposite Casey Island and the Shortell Farm is indicated.
Other farm houses are also drawn in black squares, together with main structures such as barns.
The right-of-way from Maple Lawn to the Aragon Road was still here recently, and interestingly the road past Lockett’s Farm house extends with a right-of- way to the houses opposite what is now Fairmount Home. The very large barns with green roofs are also shown at the end of this right of way and just east of Battersea Road, where they still are prominent heritage structures.
The reflections on the image to the top right are from the Mylar envelope the map is preserved in.
On this map by Putman and Walling 1860, we show the entire Kingston, Glenburnie area. Click on it and you will get an enlarged image.
And here is the Glenburnie area a detail of the same map of 1860.
There are other kinds of maps, this one is about land use, it is from 1961.
For the meaning of the land use north and south of the Aragon Road, see the legend below.
Now contrast this with the latest map from the Official Plan of the City of Kingston, amended for land use in 2013.
The gray hatched area is designated as Prime Agricultural Land, the green areas south of the Aragon Road are Environmental Protection Areas.
A big change for the better.
For a PDF file of the whole map go to:
The Property Index Map from Ontario Services indicates the sale of the Graham farm to George Patrick and Marie-Ann Carrrey by Estate Trustees John and Isabel Turner on the 21st of December, 2016. File number 36326-0209; FC 232982
The dark grey area is the Graham land Lot 37 and Lot 38.